随俗 (隨俗)
suí sú
Pinyin
Definition
随俗 (隨俗)
-
- according to custom
- to do as local custom requires
- do as the Romans do
Character Decomposition
Idioms (12)
俗谚口碑
- 1 common sayings (idiom); widely circulated proverbs
俗随时变
- 1 customs change with time (idiom); other times, other manners
- 2 O Tempora, O Mores!
伤风败俗
- 1 offending public morals (idiom)
入境问俗
- 1 When you enter a country, enquire about the local customs (idiom); do as the natives do
- 2 When in Rome, do as the Romans do
入境随俗
- 1 When you enter a country, follow the local customs (idiom); do as the natives do
- 2 When in Rome, do as the Romans do
Sample Sentences
没有,但是我高中最好的朋友都是原住民,我就“入境随俗”啰。
No, but all of my best friends from high school are aboriginal, so when in Rome...
到中国工作一定要入境随俗。
When working in China, you must do as the locals do.
虽然我们在这里也能吃到地道的中餐,但是大部分中餐厅的口味则是入乡随俗,根据本地人的口味进行了改良。
Although we can eat authentic Chinese food here, but most Chinese restaurants have adapted to the local taste to fit in.
这个嘛,大概就叫做入乡随俗了,跟在中国的西餐一样的原理,大多数都根据中国人的口味改良过的。你想,美国人都不会啃骨头的,你给他来个泡椒凤爪,他不就傻眼了?
Yeah... it's basically what you'd call “Doing what the Romans do”. It's the same idea behind Western food in China. A lot of it has been adapted to Chinese tastes. Think about it. Americans don't pick out the bones from their food. If you give one spicy pickled chicken feet, then wouldn't he be shocked?
那就考虑买房子吧。入乡随俗嘛!
Then considering buying a house. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
入乡随俗
'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'
入乡随俗,中国人怎么用我就怎么用。
'When in Rome...'. However Chinese people use them, I'll use them.
哎,哎,别呀!狗可是冬季滋补的上品,能温暖脾胃。来都来了,你就入乡随俗吧。
Oh, ah! Don't be this way! Dog is a top-shelf nutritious food for the winter. It warms your digestive organs. You're already here-- when in Rome, do as the Romans do!
入乡随俗,不适应都不行。再说了,现在职场竞争这么激烈,能找到工作就不错了。对了,你朋友在中国待了多久了?
When in Rome. You have no choice but to get used to it. Furthermore, nowadays the job market is so competitive, even finding a job is pretty good. Oh, right--how long has your friend been in China?