礼貌 (禮貌)
lǐ mào
Pinyin
Definition
礼貌 (禮貌)
-
- courtesy
- manners
Character Decomposition
Idioms (10)
人不可貌相
- 1 you can't judge a person by appearance (idiom)
- 2 you can't judge a book by its cover
- 3 often in combination 人不可貌相,海水不可斗量[rén bù kě mào xiàng , hǎi shuǐ bù kě dǒu liáng]
人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
- 1 you can't judge a person by appearance, just as you can't measure the sea with a pint pot (idiom)
以貌取人
- 1 to judge sb by appearances (idiom)
其貌不扬
- 1 (idiom) nothing special to look at
- 2 unprepossessing
才貌双全
- 1 talented and good-looking (idiom)
Sample Sentences
后来才知道这是件没有礼貌的事。
I found out later that this is considered impolite.
他受过高等教育,所以说话很有礼貌。
He is highly educated, so he always speaks politely.
这边厢话题热腾腾的刚出口,那边厢就给你冷冰冰地怼回来了。无论什么时候,胆敢摆出一副苦口婆心的架势,得到的将会是尴尬而不失礼貌的微笑。
This side just warmed up the topic, that side already retorted coldly. Whenever you dare to make a didactic gesture, you will get a polite and awkward smile.
你还怪我动作慢呀?是他没礼貌吧?我觉得中国人一点空间意识都没有,常常有人在宽到不能再宽的马路上,就偏往我身上撞过来。
You're blaming me for being too slow on the draw? It was him that was impolite, no? I think Chinese people don't have any respect for personal space. Often I find that in a street that's so wide it couldn't be wider, people will still try and veer towards me so that they bump into me.
不要说三道四,这样没礼貌。
Do not gossip about people. It’s not polite.
你说话真是太伤人啦!什么哮喘的驴?一点礼貌也不懂。
You really speak in such a hurtful way! What do you mean a hee-hawing donkey? You really don't have any manners at all.
哪个家伙把垃圾放在我家门口?有没有点基本礼貌啊?真是个垃圾!
Who put their rubbish at the entrance of my home? Haven't you got any common courtesy? What a piece of trash!
对,要有礼貌。
Yes, you should be polite.
不好意思,我刚刚说话不太礼貌,希望你别介意。
I'm really sorry. I wasn't very polite just then, I hope you don't mind.
臭港妹,还是一样没礼貌,没救了。
Bloody Miss Hong Kong! You're still as rude as ever, there's really no saving you.