发愁 (發愁)
fā chóu
Pinyin
Definition
发愁 (發愁)
-
- to worry
- to fret
- to be anxious
- to become sad
Character Decomposition
Idioms (8)
多愁善感
- 1 melancholy and moody (idiom); depressed personality
多愁多病
- 1 much sorrows and illness (idiom); melancholy and weakly
愁眉苦脸
- 1 to look anxious (idiom)
- 2 to look miserable
愁肠百结
- 1 hundred knots of worry in one's intestines (idiom); weighed down with anxiety
新愁旧恨
- 1 new worries added to old hatred (idiom); afflicted by problems old and new
Sample Sentences
背包客专用懂不懂,背包在手,衣食住都不发愁。
Backpackers language what do you know, a backpack in hand, you need not worry about clothing and food
哎,正发愁这事儿呢!不回吧,一年到头不回家看看也不像话;回吧,个人问题没解决,老爸老妈,亲朋好友非要唠叨死我。想想就好烦!
Yeah, this is really bothering me. If I don't go, then I won't have been home for a whole year and that's unacceptable. If I go, and the problem of my being single isn't resolved, my mom and dad, and all my relatives and friends are going to nag me to death. Just thinking about it is so annoying!
我儿子也快五岁了。我现在都发愁他上小学的问题了。
My son is almost five as well. Now I'm all worried about him going to school and such.
嗯,我也发愁。不知道该让她上本地学校还是国际学校。
Yeah, I'm worried about it too. I don't know if I should have her go to a local school or an international school.
你发愁什么?年货没办好?
Anxious about what? You didn't get your New Year shopping done?
哎,我真是又开心又发愁啊!
Ah, I'm both happy and anxious over it!
我正为这个发愁呢。我还专门买了文房四宝来练习。可是我的横和捺还是写得有些别扭。
This is what I am troubled by. I also intentionally bought the ‘four treasures of the study’ to practice. But my horizontal strokes and right strokes still look awkward.