怕
pà
Pinyin
Definition
怕
-
- to be afraid
- to fear
- to dread
- to be unable to endure
- perhaps
怕
-
- surname Pa
Character Decomposition
Idioms (17)
一年被蛇咬十年怕井绳
- 1 bitten by a snake in one year, fears the well rope for ten years (idiom); once bitten twice shy
一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳
- 1 once bitten by a snake, ten years in fear of a well rope
- 2 once bitten, twice shy (idiom)
不怕神一样的对手,就怕猪一样的队友
- 1 a boneheaded teammate can do you more harm than the most formidable opponent (idiom)
世上无难事,只怕有心人
- 1 there is nothing the determined person can't accomplish (idiom)
- 2 persistence will overcome
事怕行家
- 1 an expert always produces the best work (idiom)
Sample Sentences
这个活动我计划了三个月,但是最近台风要来了,我们恐怕要取消这个活动了。
I have been planning this event for three months, but there's a typhoon approaching. I'm afraid that we might have to cancel this event.
我怕老鹰。
I am afraid of eagles.
我不怕老鼠,但是我觉得它们很恶心。
I am not afraid of rats but I think they are gross.
中文中的“望梅止渴”和“一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳”也是相同的概念。
In Chinese, "To quench one's thirst by thinking of plums" and "Once bitten by a snake, ten years in fear of a well rope." have the same concept as well.
噢,我知道您爱犬心切,可是您饲养那么大的狗,也得为其他怕狗的人着想呀。
I know you love your son but you have to consider the feelings of others who are afraid of large dogs.
是啊,恐怕得让您再等一会儿了。
Yeah, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for a while.
我不怕别人说三道四。
I’m not afraid of people gossiping about me.
人怕出名猪怕肥。做事这么张扬,一定会有麻烦。
Being too famous would ultimately lead to your downfall. Troubles come when you are too ostentatious.
我们可以用这一句话“人怕出名猪怕肥”来形容公众人物。在中国,有一些公众人物喜欢开名车、戴名表,或是住豪宅。这样的行为,我们称作“炫富”。
We can use this proverb ‘Men are afraid of being famous, just as pigs are afraid of getting fat.’ to describe celebrities. There are some celebrities in China who like to drive luxurious cars, wear fancy watches, or live in luxurious houses. These behaviors are called ‘flaunting one’s wealth’.
人怕出名猪怕肥”的意思就是人出了名,就会招来很多麻烦,就像猪肥的时候就会被杀来吃。
The proverb means being famous leads to trouble, just as pigs get slaughtered and eaten when they are fat enough.