鸭 (鴨)
yā
Pinyin
Definition
鸭 (鴨)
-
- duck
- CL:隻|只[zhī]
- (slang) male prostitute
Character Decomposition
Idioms (2)
春江水暖鸭先知
- 1 lit. the duck is the first to know if the spring water is warm (idiom)
- 2 fig. an expert in the field knows which way the wind blows
赶鸭子上架
- 1 lit. to drive a duck onto a perch (idiom)
- 2 fig. to push sb to do sth way beyond their ability
Sample Sentences
我要到北京老街吃烤鸭。
I want to go to Beijing old street to have roast duck.
你…你说什么?我原本还期待着北京烤鸭呢!
You...what did you say? I was so looking forward for Beijing duck!
哈哈!跟你开个玩笑,我们北京烤鸭可是享誉全球的名菜,绝不会叫你失望的,来,我们加个微信吧!我可是北京吃货。
Haha! I'm just messing with you. Our Beijing duck is a world renowned dish, you absolutely will not be disappointed. Come, let's add each other on WeChat. I'm quite the Beijing foodie.
等你回来,我一定请你吃蒸羊羔,蒸鹿尾,烧花鸭,烧雏鸡,烧子鹅,卤煮咸鸭……
When you return I’ll treat you to steamed lamb, steamed deer tail, roasted duck, roasted chicken, roasted goose, braised salted duck ...
死鸭子嘴硬”表示一个人很固执。大家都觉得他是错的,他却不承认自己是错的。
“A dead duck’s mouth is hard.” means the person is stubborn to a fault. Everyone thinks he is wrong, but he doesn’t admit it.
死鸭子嘴硬
As stubborn as a mule.
他这个人死鸭子嘴硬,你别浪费口水跟他吵了。
He is as stubborn as a mule. Stop wasting your breath arguing with him.
赶鸭子上架”的意思就是强迫人去做能力不及的事情。
“Herd the ducks onto a perch.” means to force someone to do what’s beyond one’s power.
赶鸭子上架
To force someone to do what’s beyond one’s power.
你不要死鸭子嘴硬了,说谎了还不承认。
Stop being as stubborn as a mule. You lied and denied your mistake.