Okay this weeks questions delivered with my best possible mandarin and English where necessary :-)
1) 有时 and 有的时候 have the same meaning. The sentence in the dialogue uses both is this usual or because it is an example.
2) what does 当地 mean? Does it mean “Local”？
3）In the dialogue it talks about 冰糖葫芦 and translates it as caramelized hawthorn sticks. Is it really hawthorn sticks or does it just resemble them?
4) 花样 and 品种 have the same meaning "variety" but do they have the same use?
5) I would have interpreted half and hour as 半个小时 but the dialog says 半小时。 Which is correct?
trevorbNovember 29, 2010, 09:07 PM
Brilliant lesson tonight, learnt a lot..
1) These both have the same meaning but
有的时候 is more casual and 有时 more bookish.
2) 当地 does indeed mean local but I went a bit hamfistedly around the question. I could have just asked
on that note in the past I've used 有什么意思 is that incorrect it should be 是？
3）冰糖葫芦 is not sugared hawthorn tree sticks but sticks with sugared hawthorn berries on them.
Hawthorn trees are 山楂 jia 那我们有四棵山楂树因为这年我们planted三棵新的山楂树。
4）花样 and 品种 do mean different things. 品种 is more to do with the variety of products whereas 花样 is about variety of types.
5) Both of these are correct and any can be used at any time. A bit like the use of Cannot or Can't.
Next weeks lesson will be on tuesday the 7th of December a bit later at 八点三刻 (8:45)