Bypassing the Great Firewall of China

November 20, 2009, 05:26 PM posted in General Discussion

If you want access to sites blocked by the Chinese government, you should have a friend download onto your out-of-China-computer. This allows you to access that computer from anywhere in the world--in this case, China. Try it out and see if it works for you. I use it and was able to use Google while in China.

Profile picture
November 20, 2009, 05:56 PM

Besides, if you use MS Vista you already have a program called "Remote Desktop" which is free and discreet.

Profile picture


Profile picture

Just so the people unfamiliar with GoToMyPC and Remote Desktop, and the many other programs that allow remote access of one machine to another is that these programs allow PC access and CONTROL. Meaning your friend also has access to everything on your computer, and is trusting you not to delete files, applications or download child porn onto your computer and frame you for it. You'd better make sure this person is going to stay your friend, or is at least a decent moral person. .

Profile picture
September 11, 2011, 10:26 PM

Using a VPN service seems more appropriate. A few ideas:

  1. ($5/month - three day free trial ; 30 days money back)
  2. (starts at $7/month US only - other locations at additional cost ; 7 days money back)
  3. ($15/month - lots of locations) - seems to be very sofisticated
  4. ($29/month - 5-Day free trial)